Career Development

Post Secondary Institutions

Now that you have decided what kind of career you are interested in it is time to look at the different post-secondary institutions you can attend. Below are sites of some major Canadian Universities. There are also sites that have listings of all the Canadian universities and one site that rates Canadian universities. It is important to carefully consider where you receive your education and you should look at the following items:

  1. Tuition
  2. Credibility of the institution (ie. are its degrees recognized throughout Canada)
  3. Quality of courses offered
  4. Quality and experience of professors/instructors
  5. Location/distance from home

Links to Post-Secondary Institutions:

Links to Post-Secondary Searches and Ratings:

Opportunities with Modified Courses

A student who has modified classes on his or her Grade 12 transcript must make some different considerations when it comes to school after high school. There are lots of choices for post-secondary education from a variety of schools. This list is just a beginning. If you have an interest in an area of study for the future, you must find out about it. We can help you do that at Student Services.

Another very important consideration is Apprenticeship and Employment. Sometimes, the Apprenticeship Program that a student wishes to do requires a student to have regular classes, not modified. Each trade is different, so you must go to to research specific trades you may be interested in. We can help you with that in Student Services.

If you don't have the required classes to do the Apprenticeship Program you want and if regular classes are not suited to you, there are other ways to qualify. Students with modified classes are required to take an entrance exam prescribed by the Sask. Apprenticeship and Trade Certification Commission. If the student's academic skills are not adequate, the student may be counselled to enter into a GED 12 program or a Pre-Employment Program before being admitted into the Apprenticeship Program of his or her choice.
Note: Students may take a Saskatchewan Polytechnic (SIAST) Program without apprenticing, but there would be no journeyperson designation at the end of the course. This would have an effect on the level of pay and on opportunity for further training and advancement in the trade.

The following is a list of possibilities. Please remember that each program comes with different requirements and, from year to year, requirements may change. Also, each student has different qualifications. Every application is treated on an individual case basis. In other words, this is not a guaranteed list of programs that a student with modified high school classes could take without question. The point is that you have to start thinking about some future possibilities and working toward those goals.

It is also important to know that just because a student qualifies for and enters a program, success is not guaranteed. There is usually a lot of work to be done. Tech courses are not easy. Students have to be prepared to work hard and use good student skills. Just showing up is not enough.

Students applying for an Apprenticeship Program after Grade 12 will either need to have a regular Grade 10 Math or will be required to write an entrance exam or can get regular Math 10 standing through a Saskatchewan Polytechnic (SIAST) Pre-Employment Program.

These are the course programs from Saskatchewan Polytechnic (SIAST) that students with modified high school classes may qualify for:

  • Multi-Mechanical Trades (Trade)
  • Heavy Equipment Operator (Trade)
  • Home Care/Special Care Aide (Trade)
  • Orientation to Child Daycare (Trade)
  • Pre-Trade Industrial Mechanics (Trade)
  • Truck Driver Training (Sask. Trucking-Trade)
  • Beef Cattle Production - certificate
  • Applied Photography - diploma
  • Office Automation/Administration - diploma
  • Office Education - certificate
  • Barber Stylist - certificate
  • Corrections Worker - diploma
  • Cosmetologist - certificate
  • Educational Assistant - certificate
  • Esthetician - certificate
  • Rehabilitation Worker - certificate
  • Therapeutic Recreation - diploma
  • Youth Care Worker - certificate
  • Youth Care Worker - diploma
  • Home Care/Special Care Aide - certificate
  • Intermediate Care Paramedic - applied certificate
  • Food and Nutrition Management - diploma
  • Hotel & Restaurant Administration - diploma
  • Professional Cooking - certificate
  • Retail Meat Cutting - applied certificate
  • Agricultural Machinery Technician - certificate
  • Automotive Service Technician - certificate
  • Automotive Service Technology - diploma
  • Carpentry - certificate
  • Electrician - certificate (requires Math 20 or Foundations of Math 20)
  • Heavy Equipment and Truck and Transport Technician - certificate
  • Industrial Mechanics - certificate
  • Machine Shop - certificate
  • Outdoor Power Equipment Technician (OPET) - certificates
    • OPET Specialty: Lawn and Garden
    • OPET Specialty: Marine
    • OPET Specialty: Motorcycle
    • OPET Specialty: Snowmobile
  • Parts Management Technician - certificate
  • Welding - certificate
  • Ecotourism - certificate
  • Building Systems Operator - certificate
  • Building Systems Technician - certificate
  • Process Operator - certificate
  • Water and Wastewater Technician - certificate

* Certificate = 1 year course, Diploma = 2 year course

* Remember that these courses are available through Saskatchewan Polytechnic. There are many other post-secondary institutions to research: NAIT, SAIT, Medicine Hat Community College, Lethbridge Community College, Olds College, Lakeland College, etc.

Here are some things that you can do on your own or with the help of a school counsellor to help you decide what career choices may be right for you:

  1. Go to
    • Go to Programs and Courses
    • Go to Browse Programs
    • Go to A to Z listing
  2. Contact a Saskatchewan Polytechnic (SIAST) counsellor. There is one available here in Yorkton at the Parkland Regional College (783-6566).

SAT's and ACT's

Thinking of taking an SAT or ACT?

SAT =  Scholastic Assessment Test
ACT =  American College Testing Assessment
Any student wishing to apply for admission to an American college or university must arrange to write an SAT or an ACT exam.
SAT exams are written here at the YRHS on specific dates during the school year. ACT exams are written in various communities in the province. Visit Student Services to find out more.
What to do:

  1. Start thinking of some schools you are interested in going to. Check out their websites. Find out the requirements SAT or ACT?
  2. Contact these schools to ensure that you are taking the correct test. Ask them what score you need to be accepted.
  3. Check out the websites:
  4. Once you have decided which test you need, you must pick a writing date. The Collegeboard recommends at least three months preparation. This means that you are ordering study materials and working on it on your own.
  5. Register online. Dates and prices are available online.

At any time you may come to Student Services and talk to Ms. Ingham about SAT ACTs. If you are thinking of taking one of these tests, or have already registered, please let Ms. Ingham know.
Good luck!

SAT Practice Question of the Day
(Check back daily for a new question!)

Service Canada
Everything is on this one!
-Articles by youth (ages 15-30)
-Need a summer job? (Job Bank)
-Arts, Travel, Enviroment, Sports
"The source for information about programs and services available for youth at the community level and beyond..."
-Education and training about being safe in the workplace.
-Introduced Mission: Zero in May of 2008. The goal is zero injuries, zero deaths, zero suffering.
-One of the best educational websites with over 7000 learning resources
-Facts and figures about the labour market to help you better plan your career
-The only online post-secondary education resource that provides Canadians with the information and services they need to decide what and where to study and how to cover the costs!
-Got questions about careers, training or worker's rights? This is the place to go.
-Job listings for everyone including a special database just for students.

Young Worker Readiness Course

Take the Young Worker Readiness Certificate Course

Note:  It is important that you print and keep this certificate when you are finished.  Your account is only active for 120 days.  You will need this certificate again for things such as:  Career Work Experience, Youth Apprenticeship Program.