RE: Observing Covid Restrictions at the YRHS Nov. 18, 2020
Good morning staff and students,
Covid is on the rise in our Province of Saskatchewan. Yesterday, the Government of Saskatchewan released stricter guidelines for all of us to follow in our homes and in our communities to lessen the spread of Covid. We, as a Family of Raiders need to do our level best to respect the health and safety of our entire community by practicing all of the guidelines and restrictions within our school. Our Director, Mr. Robertson, continues to advocate for our students to be attending school every day instead of moving to every second day which is what most large high schools in the province have already done.
This means that we all have a huge responsibility as a Family of Raiders to keep the nearly 900 students and staff that come into our building daily safe. Keeping our school open means that you can all be at school and your parents and guardians can be at work keeping our economy going.
Students need to continue to use designated entrances and exits. Grade 9’s use the front Entrance. Grade 10’s use the North end of the A Wing. Grade 11 and 12 students use either the Band Hallway Entrance or the appropriate A Wing stairwell entrances. Bus students use bus the entrance. Use the entrances that work best for your particular classroom – your teacher can provide guidance there.
It is during breaks and during lunch that students must take responsibility. Honestly, lunch time is our greatest concern. Each student should act like you might have the Corona Virus and you don’t want to give it to your friends and their families.
During breaks, students must remain in their designated hallways:
- Grade 9 and 10 students stay in the Lower A Wing and may use the Main Hallway if they need to.
- Grade 11 and 12 students use the Upper A Wing and, if they absolutely need to, the Library Link Hallway. Students should use the bathrooms within their designated hallways. The Boys’ bathroom in the C Wing is currently out of service due to student vandalism. Boys in C Wing classes should use the C Wing Hallway to go to the Boys Bathroom in the Main Hallway until it is repaired.
Lunch time is the most challenging and difficult for both students and staff:
Students are strongly encouraged to leave the school for lunch whenever possible.
Many of students, especially in Grades 9 and 10, can’t leave for lunch. Lunch time is most difficult for you, but you have to follow the guidelines:
- Students who stay at school for lunch need to remain in their Period 1 classrooms to eat lunch. The only exception to this is Period 1 Gym classes. You may eat in the Main Hallway outside the Gym. No other exceptions.
- No matter where you are eating lunch, you have to take off your masks. That means you need to social distance, no matter where you are eating. That means 2 meters apart. You act like you don’t want to give Covid to your friends and their families.
- Once students have finished their lunches, they may go to their designated areas to socialize. This is where social distancing is very important. If students can’t abide by this, they will be asked to proceed to the office, parents will be called, and these students will not be allowed to stay at school during lunch unless they abide by the guidelines.
Most of our students understand the importance of abiding by these guidelines – we know that you understand and appreciate your social responsibility. Thank you!
To review, after lunch, students proceed to the following areas:
- Grade 9’s go to the West Gym Bleachers.
- Grade 10’s go to the East Gym Bleachers.
- Grade 11’s go to the Library.
- Grade 12’s go to the Cafeteria.
In our classrooms, our staff ensures that we are following all guidelines:
We keep a constant seating plan with everyone facing forward when possible. Group work is carefully planned.
Other things to keep in mind:
Wear a mask properly at all times. No one should need to be reminded of this.
Social distance always. No one should need to be reminded of this.
Practice excellent hand washing. No one should need to be reminded of this.
When leaving the school, minimize the number of people that you are entering vehicles with before school, after school, and at lunch.
If you are not feeling well, do not come to school. Have a parent or guardian call
We do all of this to minimize the risk of Covid transmission and, in the event of a Covid outbreak, to make contact tracing simple and effective.
Let’s all do our part to make this work. We are very hopeful that we are able to keep our school open to students every day. While there are many outside factors that determine this, we must do everything within our control within our school so that we are not the cause of an outbreak. Let’s not be the weak link – let’s be the strong link in all of this. Remember, we are not some other school. We are the Yorkton Regional High School. We can do this together.
This has been a lot of information – this announcement has been posted on teachers’ Edsby Feed. Teachers, please review this announcement with students if there are any questions.